Names of Allah

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Those who claim ...

Australia is known for its truly unique and breathtaking landscapes and the seemingly untouched Wilsons Promontary National Park can only be described as such. After spending only a week in the beautiful surrounds and beaches of the Tidal River coast I can safely say that there are only a few places like this in the world. Heading down there as a part of the Beach Mission Team (Tidal River Theos) with an open mind and thirst for engaging conversations and an insane week was to follow with a lot of the tasks remaining on the Bucket List falling like flies, now offically leaving me at the halfway mark of my masterquest.

Having felt called to go on a mission trip for some time now, when the Tidal River team came to my church months ago to advertise, I jumped at the chance to share God's word in a deliberate context. This has only further proven to be a divinely inspired decision, with a large majority of the team becoming close friends; not least of all my incredibly lovely girlfriend Sarah. 

Leaving Port Fairy early on New Years Day before bunking down at home for the night; I awoke early on the 2nd of January with a 200km drive ahead of me. The time flew and the kiloemetres melted away and soon enough, three and a half hours later I arrived at the Prom with great excitement.

The first day was continued set up of the camspite while we built up to our first open tent of the two week period that the team was down at the prom for. Open tents were essentially a time in which anyone over the age of 18 could come into a massive tent and chill out, doing anything from playing tabletennis and the guitar to getting into some of the most epic card games known to mankind (anything from Poker to Killer Uno!)


The whole point of the Open Tent, and indeed the whole mission was to break down peoples misconceptions of Christians as whole, and if the opportunity arose to be able to share a little bit of your own story about why you chose to follow Christ.

I was actually surprised with the ease that people accepted our presence within the camp, a majority of the campers quickly realising that we weren't a group of crazy bible-bashers, but simply a team of normal people with an strong belief in a man who was decidedly un-normal, even today transcending generations in his overwhelming love, grace kindness and mercy.

Aside from the Open Tent running every night, on alternating days we ran either a free cooked breakfast in the morning or sports games on the (stunning) Tidal River beach.

Not surprising, the free cooked breakfasts; complete with bacon, eggs and pancakes were a huge success with consistently over 80 people coming to get their stomachs filled with free baked goodness whilst the sports games (starting with Beach Volleyball and Beach Cricket) quickly developed into extremely competitive matches with bodies flying everywhere in marked desperation to propel either of the opposing teams over the line.

I think my favorite aspect of camping down there was the genuine relationships that the vibe down there fostered, with intentional-led conversations meaning the groundwork was easy to lay and friendships quick to follow. 

However, the mission itself was not the only highlight of my time down at Tidal River, despite it being the sole reason for my being down there. Many of the tasks I had set myself have tumbled (and in fact, I enjoyed a task I had already completed so much, I did it twice!) bringing my total up to fifteen, which leaves me squarely at the official halfway mark of The Radical Change.




Some of the goals to tumble whilst down at Tidal River include Camping with good mates, Going on a missions trip, Climbing a big rock for no good apparent reason and a few others that will have to wait until I have actual photographic proof. Unfortunately (for my own ego, as much as marking it off my list) there was no photos of me standing on a Surfboard (although I contend I stood up!). I left Tidal River with much sadness last saturday, as I only wished I could stay longer in a place which truly reflected the sheer power of God intertwined with the subtleties that define why I quickly run out superlatives when people ask me Why Do You Believe? 

1. Play Laser Tag in a Suit
2. Play in my Church's Worship Band. 
3. Go on a spontaneous roadtrip
4. Watch the sunrise from the top of a mountain. 
5. Throw Darts at Paint-filled balloons.  
6. Go Paintballing
7. Go to the Zoo
8. Have a Picnic
9. Go wild whilist listening to Muse/Radiohead (whichever comes first) live. 
10. See three unknown/unsigned bands live.  
11. Finish an 80km bike ride in one day 
12. Go on a mission trip
13. Go campling with mates
14. Climb a big rock for no apparent reason

No comments:

Post a Comment