|Born||16 July 1984 (1984-07-16) |
|Years active||2003 – present|
Early lifeKaif was born in Hong Kong to an Indian Kashmiri father, Mohammed Kaif, and an English mother, Suzanne Turquotte, both of whom are British citizens. Her parents divorced when she was very young. Kaif stated once, "my dad, unfortunately, and not out of choice, has had no influence on our upbringing, on our religious or social or moral bearings." Kaif has seven siblings. From Hong Kong, she and her family moved to China, then to Japan. Then from Japan (by boat) to France when she was 8, and also moved to Switzerland, Kraków, Berlin, Belgium, and many other East European countries where she and her family were there for a few months each.Then they moved to Hawaii, and finally later moved to her mother's home country, England. It is widely speculated that Kaif is from London, when in fact, she only lived there for three years before moving to Mumbai.
CareerKaif began her modeling career at the age fourteen; her first job was for a jewelry campaign. She continued modeling in London under a contract with the Models 1 Agency and did campaigns for houses such as La Senza and Arcadius, and even walked on the London Fashion Week.
Kaif's London modeling-work led to her discovery by London-based filmmaker Kaizad Gustad, who gave her a part in his film Boom (2003). She moved to Mumbai and was offered a number of modeling assignments. However, filmmakers were initially hesitant to sign her because she could not speak Hindi.
Kaif saw moderate success with the 2005 film Sarkar, where she played the bit part of Abhishek Bachchan's girlfriend, and Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya (2005), where she was paired opposite Salman Khan.
In 2007, Kaif appeared in her first major hit movie, Namastey London, wherein she starred as a British Indian girl alongside Akshay Kumar for the second time after the box office letdown Humko Deewana Kar Gaye (2006). Her run of hit films continued with Apne, Partner, and Welcome.
In 2008, she played the villain role for the first time in Abbas-Mustan's hit action thriller Race. She played the role of Saif Ali Khan's secretary who is secretly in love with his hostile stepbrother (played by Akshay Khanna). Kaif's second release of the year was Anees Bazmee's production Singh Is Kinng, opposite Akshay Kumar. The film was a big success at the box office. Kaif's final release of the year, Subhash Ghai's Yuvvraaj, was a commercial failure, but its script has made its way into the Library of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences for artistic merits, original screenplay with a substance, and the film as a whole.
Kaif's first release for 2009, New York, with John Abraham, was a critical and commercial success. Kaif's performance was highly regarded. Wrote critic Taran Adarsh, "Katrina gives you the biggest surprise. Known for her glamour roles, Katrina proves that she can deliver if the director and writer offer her a role of substance. She's outstanding. In fact, people will see a new, different Katrina this time."
She next played a bit role as a biker chick in the multi-starrer action film Blue, popularly known as India's first underwater thriller, which performed decently at the box office. The film was not successful.
At the year's end, she appeared in Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, with Ranbir Kapoor, and De Dana Dan with Akshay Kumar. Both films were commercial successes.
Kaif's first film of 2010 was Raajneeti, where she appeared opposite Ranbir Kapoor. The film did extremely well at the box office, receiving a blockbuster status. She is also starred in Farah Khan's Tees Maar Khan with Akshay Kumar. The film was released on 24 December 2010. Although the film was not successful, Kaif's item song Sheila Ki Jawani was a hit.
VoiceIt should be noted that due to her poor knowledge of Hindi (and other Indian languages), Katrina Kaif's voice has often been dubbed over by another actress for many of her early films. With the exception of De Dana Dan, all her films since New York feature her real voice. Earlier films in which her real voice is also heard are Singh Is Kinng, Namastey London and Boom. However in the films that feature her real voice mostly English is spoken and not much Hindi is spoken
- 2006: Stardust Breakthrough Performance Award (Female), Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya
- 2006: Idea Zee F Awards, Fashion Diva of the Year 
- 2008: Zee Cine Awards, British Indian Actor Award
- 2008: IIFA Awards, Style Diva of the Year
- 2008: Sabsey Favourite Kaun Awards, Sabsey Favourite Heroine, Singh Is Kinng
- 2008: Apsara Film Producers Guild of India Awards, Style Diva of the Year
- 2009: Rajiv Gandhi Award
- 2009: Golden Kela Awards, Dara Singh Award for the Worst Accent
- 2009: Sabsey Favourite Kaun Awards, Sabsey Favourite Heroine 
- 2009: ASSOCHAM Award, Performing Excellence 
- 2010: Star Screen Awards, Entertainer of the year 
- 2010: Stardust Awards, Best Actress - Popular Award for New York & Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani 
- 2011: Star Screen Award for Best Actress (Popular Choice)
- 2011: Apsara Awards: Hindustan Times Reader's Choice Entertainer Of The Year Award (Female) 
- 2005: Zee Cine Award for Most Promising Debut, Sarkar
- 2008: IIFA Award for Best Actress, Race
- 2009: Apsara Award for Best Actress In Supporting Role, Race
- 2009: IIFA Award for Best Actress, Singh Is Kinng
- 2009: Stardust Award for Star Of The Year, Singh Is Kinng
- 2009: Stardust Award for Best Actress In A Negative Role, Race
- 2010: Screen Award for Best Actor In Popular Category, New York
- 2010: Stardust Star of the Year Award – Female for New York & Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani 
- 2010: Filmfare Best Actress Award for New York
- 2010: Big Star Entertainment Award for BIG Star Most Entertaining Film Actor (Female) Rajneeti 
- 2010: Big Star Entertainment Award for New Talent of the Decade (Female) 
|2003||Boom||Rina Kaif/Popdi Chinchpokli|
|2004||Malliswari||Princess Malliswari||Telugu film|
|Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya||Sonia|
|Allari Pidugu||Shwetha||Telugu film|
|2006||Hum Ko Deewana Kar Gaye||Jia A. Yashvardhan|
|Balram vs. Taradas||Supriya||Malayalam film|
|2007||Namastey London||Jasmeet Malhotra (Jazz)|
|Singh Is Kinng||Sonia|
|2009||New York||Maya||Nominated, Filmfare Best Actress Award|
|Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani||Jennifer (Jenny)|
|De Dana Dan||Anjali Kakkad|
|Tees Maar Khan||Anya/Sheila|
|2011||Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara||Releasing on May 27, 2011|
|Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Filming|